Another Reason to Keep Water Moving in Your Bird Bath: Zika! April 19 2016
As the news spread, many folks became more concerned/aware when venturing outdoors for sports, leisure, and general R&R activities.
Like West Nile, Zika is transmitted through the bites of infected mosquitoes. "It's carried by two species of mosquitoes found in the USA, Zika has infected more than 1 million people in Central and South America. Travelers who have become infected with the Zika virus in other countries have already arrived in the U.S., which raises the possibility of homegrown Zika cases in the U.S. in the future."
- Use bird bath accessories like Water Wigglers, Bubblers or Drippers to keep water moving.
- Install a Bat House (brown bats eat thousands of insects nightly).
- Dispose of cans, plastic containers, old tires and other items that may collect water.
- Turn over wheelbarrows and empty children's wading pools.
- Clean clogged roof gutters, they become prime mosquito breeding pools.
- Periodically empty saucers under garden planters and pots to make sure they are not harboring mosquito larvae.
- Use non-toxic mosquito repellent products. Mosquito Dunks are the only product containing BTI, a bacteria toxic to mosquito larvae. BTI is harmless to people, plants, pets, fish, wildlife and beneficial insects, but is deadly to mosquitoes.